How To: The Perfect Breakfast

Growing up I had some unhealthy eating habits. For example, when I was in middle school I would skip breakfast in order to sleep 30 extra minutes and skip out on lunch because I was a vegetarian at the time and school did not have great options nor did I feel like making a sandwich every day. Instead I would take $1 and have a can of soda every single day until I got home at around 5pm. Let me tell you when I got home I would snack my butt off because I would be STARVING! At one point I wouldn't even get hungry anymore until I finally arrived home. This was not good! Actually this behavior of mine went on for about a year or so and it slowed down my metabolism A LOT!!! I tell this to anyone who mentions skipping breakfast whether it be because their mornings are busy, like me, or they desperately want to lose weight. Once I saw a quote that said: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dine like a pauper." So go ahead, eat a big breakfast you and your body deserve it! One's metabolism slows down throughout the day which is why it is not recommended to have a heavy dinner late before going to bed because your body will have a harder time processing that food when it needs rest. When I began getting back to eating breakfast it was difficult. I wouldn't be hungry and even a cracker would make me feel heavy and substantially full. To stop this negative behavior I started with a balanced breakfast of 350-450 calories and at times would force myself to eat that even if my body did not want it.
Nowadays I religiously drink a smoothie, açaí bowl, etc. to supplement me in the mornings. Smoothies are so quick to make and you can take it in a to go cup and drink it on your way to work/school. I'm am going to share a recipe with you that works for me and I enjoy a lot! It leaves you feeling light yet so energized not to mention it's DELICIOUS! ...and vegan ;)

GOOD GREEN MORNING MONSTER
2 servings or 1 big serving (I don't judge) :)

  • 1 cup of non-dairy milk (soy/rice/coconut/almond milk)
  • 2 big ol' handfuls of spinach (organic if possible)
  • 2 tablespoons of golden milled flax (milled not the full seed)
  • 1 pre-frozen banana (I freeze them overnight)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter
  • Ice (to your liking, more for thicker texture/less for a more runny consistency)
  • Freestyle it add some yummy and healthy powders like hemp 
  • Sometimes if my soy milk is of the unsweetened variation then I go ahead and add some agave, maple syrup, or dates... But taste it without and go customizing it to your liking!

  1. Combine Ingredients
  2. Blend
  3. Enjoy! 

I use a Vita-mix (best investment... Ever!) but use any blender you may have :)

Let me know how your drink turns out, if you altered it comment below and tell me what you did!
100% Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten-Free

XX -S

Leave a Reply